FedEx has released a sensor board that is connected by mobile phone network and is designed to monitor sensitive cargo that would be harmed by environmental stress. It seems like a good gadget to know about if you ever want to track something globally without too much effort. $120/month
From the website copy:
SenseAware powered by FedEx
SenseAware can monitor items that are:
- Unique or rare — such as samples from clinical trials.
- Temperature sensitive — such as pharmaceuticals.
- Light sensitive — such as film or art
- Time critical or location critical — such as human tissue and organs.
- Highly controlled or regulated — such as materials requiring chain-of-custody certification.
- Biohazardous or dangerous — such as explosives.
- Highly valuable — such as medical equipment.